Nasty Women Sacramento
Verge Center for the Arts is pleased to be hosting Nasty Women Sacramento, a fundraiser exhibition modeled after the original Nasty Women exhibition, which was held in January at the Knockdown Center in Queens, New York. The exhibition featured donated works of art from female and female-identifying artists, and raised over $42,000, with all proceeds from sales going to Planned Parenthood. Since it’s original inception, dozes of other national and international “nasty venues” around the country have held their own exhibitions, with more being planned.
As described by the original organizers of the show:
“Nasty Women is a global art movement that serves to demonstrate solidarity among artists who identify with being a Nasty Woman in the face of threats to roll back women’s rights, individual rights, and abortion rights. With over forty fundraising art exhibitions taking place around the United States and abroad, Nasty Women Exhibitions also serve to support organizations defending these rights and to be a platform for organization and resistance.”
Nasty Women Sacramento will be open June 17 and June 18. This exhibition is being organized by Sacramento artist, Frankie Hansbearry, and Verge Deputy Director, Susanna Tu. Proceeds from the exhibition will be benefiting Wellspring Women’s Center, and My Sister’s House. If you would like to donate work, please read through the submission rules below, and click the link to fill out the submission form. Please be mindful of the deadlines listed below! For questions or more information, please email Frankie Hansbearry at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Theme: Nasty Women
- Submissions are open to cis-gender, trans women, and non-binary people.
- Submission form deadline (link below): Tuesday, June 6th, by 6pm PST
- Artwork drop off: Sunday, June 11 & Monday, June 12, between 11am – 5pm, at Verge. If you are unable to drop off your art during these two days, please make arrangements for someone else to drop it off for you.
- Work must NOT exceed 24″ x 24″ x 24″. Work must be framed and ready for hanging- NO EXCEPTIONS. We reserve the right to turn away a piece on the spot if there is no proper hanging hardware. Sawtooth hangers are strongly discouraged.
- No work valued at over $100.
- Please note that not all entries may be accepted.
- Unsold work must be picked up on Monday, June 19 at Verge, between the hours of 10am – 5pm. The organizers of the exhibition and the venue will not be responsible for any damages to your artwork or your possessions during the run of this exhibition. Once the pick up time is over (5pm on June 19), we are no longer responsible for holding onto your work or any of your property.
Important Dates & Deadlines (all times are PST)
- Tuesday, June 6th, 6pm: Submission forms are due
- Sunday, June 11 & Monday, June 12; 11am – 5pm: Artwork drop off period
- Saturday, June 17 & Sunday, June 18; 11am – 6pm: Exhibition open
- Monday, June 19; 10am – 5pm: Artwork pick up