This is a list of frequently asked questions – for more information about Sac Open Studios or if you need assistance with registration, contact email@example.com or 916-448-2985.
Who can participate in Sac Open Studios?
Sac Open Studios is a non-juried art event. Any artist living and/or practicing in Sacramento County or West Sacramento is eligible to register for Sac Open Studios.
Why should I participate in Sac Open Studios?
- Your art and contact information will be seen in 20,000 Sac Open Studios Guides which includes: Your name, studio information, one color image, website and studio location clearly marked on a map. Guides are distributed to over 500 locations throughout the greater Sacramento region and outlying areas and are kept as a year round guide for patrons and curators.
- Your art is eligible to be selected for the Guide’s cover or inside dividers.
- One piece of your artwork will be exhibited at Verge Center for the Arts as part of Sac Open Studios’ official exhibition, and will be on display for the Launch Party as well as throughout the tour.
- Exposure to gallery owners, art consultants and designers who attend this event searching for new talent for their collectors and clients. Sac Open Studios is attended by people from all over Sacramento and outlying regions.
- Direct exposure to art patrons. Thousands of dollars worth of art are sold during Sac Open Studios each year directly to people who visit open studios. Many sales happen after the Tour, too. 100% of any studio sales go to you, the artist. Organizers do not take a commission.
- Build your mailing list. When art enthusiasts make the effort to choose to visit your studio, most sign up for your mailing list to keep in touch and support you throughout the year and your career as an artist. This is one of the best ways to add names to your mailing list.
- Show your work! This is an opportunity to get feedback on your current work. The supportive experience of sharing your work with tourgoers can be so informative to your process as an artist.
- Two free art marketing classes taught by marketing professionals on how to market your artwork and prepare to make the most of your open studio event – Sac Open Studios 101 and Selling Confidently. Valued at $150.
- VIP admission to the Sac Open Studios Launch Party
- It’s fun!
What are the dates for Sac Open Studios?
Saturday-Sunday, September 8-9 – Studios west of Business 80/Highway 99
Saturday-Sunday, September 15-16 – Studios east of Business 80/Highway 99
Studios are open from 10am to 5pm each day
What are the registration dates and how much does it cost to participate?
Member Registration: March 1 – $99
Nonmember Registration: April 1-30 – $125
Late Registration: May 1-14 – $150
What if I have to cancel after I sign up? Can I get my money back?
If you cancel before midnight on May 15, you will get a refund of the amount you paid less a 10% processing fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations after May 15.
Will Sac Open Studios find me a studio or gallery to show my work for the tour?
No. It is the responsibility of each Sac Open Studios artist to arrange their own space for the tour. Many people show their work from their home while others get together with other artists and show their space in a group setting. You will need to supply your studio address when you register.
If I share space with another artist, what is the fee?
Each Sac Open Studio artist must register individually at the rates mentioned above. There are no discounts given for group settings.
Can I sell art other than my own during the tour?
No. Items offered for sale during the open studios must be made by the Sac Open Studio artist. Items created by someone else may not be shown or sold.
How many artists participate?
The number of participating artists changes each year. In 2017 we had 150+
Do I need a business license or reseller’s permit?
If you plan on selling your art, a valid seller’s permit is required by the California State Board of Equalization. Licenses can be obtained through the State Board of Equalization by contacting (800) 400-7115 or registering online at: http://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/services/
Do I need to charge tax on sales made in my studio?
State and Federal laws require tax on all sales. It is the responsibility of each artist to comply with the laws set forth by the State of California and IRS.
Still have questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-448-2985.